Sunday, August 29, 2010

The mining tax... why it remains a good idea

Like most of you this week, I have been reflecting on the state of Australia politics and am thinking that a good shake up is exactly what we need...

For too long the two main parties have resembled each other on key policy issues - with the mining tax being one key exception.

With the independents acting as 'King (or Queen) Makers' (as the case may be), I thought I would again raise the important issue of rent resource tax...

I had this article published by The Punch... check it out here...

3 comments:

sqgl said...

MINERAL RESOURCE RENT TAX (by sqgl)

They call it Resource Rent
To me it's Resource Spent
Weasel words to ease the heard mentality.
WTF's a Mining Royalty?
Dunno 'bout you but to me
The word applies to art
and ideas and not the fart
of a coal truck
digging up shit just to burn it up
gone forever
transforming the weather.

We may as well go insist on copyright...
on what? I don't know.
But the absurdity shows
the term that rings true
is a Mining Extraction Due.
It's our inheritance.
Quick! Let's cash it in
while the ghost of Terra Nullius
still lingers in the desert winds.

Batts burning, earth turning;
Your children aren't sacred
while Garret's party is oiled
bending over recoiling
from corporate thrusts
breeding hatred and mistrust.

sqgl said...

OK that poem is more punk than academic (your approach) but I hope you like it anyhow since I haven't put it online until now. It got a good response at a poetry reading @WordInHand, Glebe, last month though. Didn't you notice the swing away from labor that followed ;)

James Arvanitakis said...

Hey sqgl... I love it...

You are spot on: missing from my argument is the issue of Indigenous land - I tried to include it but it did not do it justice in a paragraph.

I have a new academic paper coming out on this very soon (I hope) - where we look at the republic in these exact terms

Love the poetry... please send more this way

j