Monday, September 17, 2007

Political musings: Politics and weight - who have you spotted at the gym?

There is an entire branch of sociology concerned with the study of ‘symbols’ called ‘symbolic interactionism’. In fact, similar fields have emerged in various disciplines and are amongst the more interesting areas to teach sociology students at university.

The theory behind symbolic interactionism is that things are never as they appear and we must look behind certain symbols to understand their true meaning.

An example is someone who lives in the city of Sydney yet purchases one of those large, fuck-off, four-wheel drives. This may seem to be just another car, but depending on where you sit it symbolises something deeper.

For the new owner, amongst others, it is a symbolises success and control: the ability take the car off-road whenever they see fit, taking on the great Australian outback. To others – including me – it simply symbolises someone as a total wanker: having no regard for congestion, pollution, global warming or pedestrian safety.

It is from this perspective we need to understand John Howard’s less than graceful slip the other week. I do not like John Howard – never have – but that is not the point. I gain no enjoyment from seeing some ‘silly old bugger’ (thank you Bob Hawke) fall over. I know of no-one who would enjoy such a spectacle.

No, the Prime Minister’s fall represented something more: a man who has stayed too long and is starting to look a little feeble. This is not a rant against older pollies – I mean some of my best friends are older Australians – it is what the fall symbolises.

In politics, symbols are everything – and this brings me to the issue of weight loss. The theory being that the public would not vote for a fatty – dismissing a politician who does not look like they are willing to take care of themselves. (Phillip Ruddock is probably the exception the proves the rule – but that is a cliché I never really understood.)

In NSW, Barry O’Farrell’s political ambitions were linked to his weight. I suspect that Peter Debnam’s ongoing desire to be photographed in his budgie-smugglers had less to do with an attempt to sell an outdoor, masculine image – I mean who is that gullible – and more to do with taunting Barry. A kind of, ‘check me out Barry, no way you can have my job.’

Peter Debnam was never that smart – and never looked that good in the budgie-smugglers – so when Barry hit the treadmill, we all knew what was coming.

We can draw similar comparisons between John Howard’s morning walk in his tasteful and elegant tracksuit as a taunt to Kim (I save my best speeches when I am about to step down) Beasley. Kim was a sitting duck in terms of symbolic interactionism.

This is not a uniquely Australian phenomenon and is just as important in the USA. A friend tells me there are (unconfirmed) rumours that both Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton have staffers who study the most recent photographs of Al Gore for any hints of weight loss. No word yet on Big Al’s political motivations, but like the Oracle of Delphi, we turn to his ample mid-section as a sign of what we should expect.

It is with interest then, that I read that Newt Gingrich has been ordering oatmeal with no milk or sugar around Washington. Yes, big bad Newt may be the dark horse for the Republican nomination. This is the man who was one of the architects of the Iran-Contra affair and a man who, in 1996, closed the USA government down for 27 days because of a personal stand-off with Bill (please pass my cigar) Clinton. There is also Newt’s hypocrisy: that is, his high moral position while having affairs. I mean, go for it Newt, all power to you, but do not preach family values while you are doing it.

Will the American public may be willing to forget and forgive if Newt tones up a little? The lead Republican candidate, Rudolph Gulliani, is in the box seat, both with weight and fund raising, at the moment. From my intelligence – and I am using this term loosely – he is not phased by Newt’s positioning at the moment.

But is anyone taking Newt seriously?

I spoke to some Americans the other day and they seemed to laugh off any suggestions regarding Newt’s nomination: noting that he was past his best, had no fresh ideas, lacked personality, has his independence compromised by his close relationship to Fox News, is basically known for being a complete knob.

But what of his weight loss I inquired: would a skinny-Newt be any different to a cuddly-Newt? Can politicians re-invent themselves by a bit of weight-loss, some hair colouring, bright teeth and a smile?

Their response threw me: ‘Well, anyone can become President of the USA.’

They then asked me, ‘Can anyone be Prime Minister of Australia?’

I reflected on this, thinking of all the Prime Minister’s I knew, settling on the image of John Howard falling over, and responded with a confident, ‘Yes, I suppose anyone can be Prime Minister.’

In generations to come, sociologists will probably look at what Prime Minister John Howard symbolised and draw their own conclusions.

You decide, I am off to the gym with Brendan, Pete and Malcolm.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.